Monday, October 5, 2009

Servicemembers' Law Center accessible through ROA blog

In 1997, I initiated the “Law Review” column in the magazine and website of the Reserve Officers Association (ROA). I invite your attention to www.roa.org/law_review. You will find more than 600 articles, mostly by me and mostly about the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA) and related laws. You will also find a detailed Subject Index, to facilitate finding articles about very specific topics.

I have been speaking and writing about reemployment rights for more than 27 years, since 1982. I worked for the United States Department of Labor (DOL) as an attorney for a decade. Together with one other DOL attorney (Susan M. Webman), I largely drafted the interagency task force work product that became USERRA when Congress enacted it, with only a few changes, in 1994. USERRA is the long-overdue 1994 rewrite of the Veterans’ Reemployment Rights Act (VRRA), which can be traced back to 1940.

In addition to my decade at DOL, I have also been involved in USERRA and the VRRA as a judge advocate in the Navy and Navy Reserve, as an attorney for the National Committee for Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR), an attorney for the United States Office of Special Counsel (OSC), and as an attorney in private practice.

As of 1 June 2009, I am full-time as the first Director of the Servicemembers’ Law Center. I look forward to hearing from you through this blog.

Remember that a blog is public and available to the whole world. Do not include details of your situation in a blog posting. Rather, if you need to bring up your own situation, send me an e-mail at SWright@roa.org, or call me at 800-809-9448, ext. 730.

Captain Samuel F. Wright, JAGC, USN (Ret.)

No comments: