Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Post-9/11 GI Bill Success

The Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Improvements Act of 2010 was passed by both chambers of Congress and is awaiting President Obama’s signature.

The legislation provides many improvements including Title 32 AGR eligibility; vocational, OJT, apprenticeship, flight training and other non-degree training; housing stipend for full-time distance learners; a book allowance for service members and their spouses enrolled while on active duty; upgraded subsistence allowance for disabled veterans using Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VRE) program benefits; coverage of multiple licensure and certification tests; and allowance of USPHS and NOAA Corps officers to transfer benefits to family members.

An unfortunate omission in an otherwise strong bill was Title 14 eligibility. ROA advocated for inclusion and will continue to push for its comprisal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The post 9/11 GI Bill will result in substantial loss in benefit to many veterans. Let me provide my details: Enrolled in a 3 year Doctoral Program. Currently in year one of the program and receiving benefits of the post 9/11 GI Bill. Attending a private school in New York State. The program has three terms per year: Fall, Spring and Summer. The cost for the Fall and Spring terms are approximately $12,000 for each term. The summer term is approximately $9,000. For a total annual tuition cost of $33,000.
Under the present post 9/11 GI Bill the max benefit in New York State is $12,293 per term or $36,879 for the three terms per year. The new max benefit to the post 9/11GI BIll will be $17,500 per year. In my case the maximum benefit goes from $36,879 per year to $17,500.
With the cost of my tuition at $33,000, if I were at the 100% benefit level I would have the entire cost of the tuition paid for by the post 9/11 GI Bill, but now I will have my maximum benefit reduced to $17,500 per year. That is a difference of $15,500 per year. With two years left in my program that is an extra cost of over $30,000 to me.
When I started school I was promised funding with current post 9/11 GI Bill. I selected an excellent school where I could apply my benefits. My selection was strongly based on what school I could afford. I do not feel that it is fair to be promised a certain amount of money, already be in enrolled in my program and then to have these benfits substantially reduced. Students such as myself should be "grandfathered" under the current post 9/11 GI Bill. Please support not changing the benefits for those that result in a significant loss. If the changes to the post 9/11 GI Bill are made I will be forced to leave school. I feel cheated and discouraged. I am sure there are others in a similar situation.